Monday, May 26, 2014

Tag - I'm "it"!



My writing friend, Leanne Bristow (check out her blog at www.leannebristow.weebly.com/blog/) tagged me in a blog hop. I’m so excited and honored that she would think of me for this. How it works is I am given 4 questions about my writing to answer here on my blog. I then tag four more authors to do the same. I have read several of these responses and it’s been so fun to see the different responses to the same questions. Well, here goes:

What am I working on?
    After making it through about 5 ½ of my 8 books adding male POV (see blog post “What’s Your Point of View from Feb 2013 http://cindyregnier.blogspot.com/2013/02/whats-your-point-of-view.html) I temporarily left that project last fall and began a completely new book. I just finished it not long ago and am working on the edits. It is historical romance set in the Kansas Flint Hills (guess that’s my trademark now.) I can’t even find words to express how much easier it is to just write a book using all the things I’ve learned over the last few years than trying to revise an old story. I haven’t given up on my Heart Series or Seasons Series but for now I’m hoping to move ahead on this new project, starting book number 2 soon.
How does my work differ from others in its genre?
  
In all honesty, I’m not sure it does, but I also don’t think that’s such a bad thing. I love reading historical romance and therefore that is what I love to write. There must be others like me that simply enjoy the genre without always looking for the new or latest thing. On the other hand, I try to add my unique touch to whatever I write (as in the aforementioned setting.) In my newest series I am incorporating circumstances from my own family history into my stories. Personal and unique, though only my family will notice the vague similarities.
Why do I write what I do?
   
As I mentioned in the last paragraph, I write what I would enjoy reading. That’s the only way I can enjoy writing it. A tough farmer guy or cowboy, a sweet heroine full of strong character and their heart-fluttering romance are the essential elements of a story I want to read or write.
How does your writing process work?
   I usually have a vague overview in mind when I start a book, but I find I work best from within the dark tunnel. I don’t have outlines, plotting maps or a deliberate structure for my story. One scene ahead is about all I can see at a time. When I finish that scene, the next is beginning to take shape. I can’t explain how it works, but it always does. Everything comes together at the end and I’m as surprised as anybody else how it turns out. One of the obvious advantages in this method for me, the I’ll-procrastinate-if-I-can writer, is I can’t wait to write the next chapter so I can find out what happens. What an impetus to keep going. This goes against the grain to plotters and I recognize the obvious disadvantages in my methods, but when I try to plot, I get writing that sounds like I tried to plot. You know – like reading off a speech you wrote two weeks ago – nothing unique, no straying from the norm, no surprises.  Yeah – I like the surprises!
So thanks again to Leanne for tagging me. I haven’t found enough bloggers as yet who want to be tagged next, but when I do I will post them here. Email me cregnier(at)twinvalley(dot)net if you’re interested.
Oh – and check out my old and new short stories in the Family Fiction short story contest. Appreciate any thumbs up votes you feel inclined to give
http://www.familyfiction.com/short-stories/the-story-2014-contest/birth-of-an-angel/
http://www.familyfiction.com/short-stories/the-story-2014-contest/unraveled/



 http://www.familyfiction.com/short-stories/the-story-2014-contest/best-friends/

1 comment: